Skillathons will be conducted in the following areas: Beef, Sheep, Swine, Poultry, Rabbits, Goats, Horses, Dairy, Dogs, and Llamas/Alpacas
Requirement: All livestock exhibitors must participate in skillathon to be eligible to show at the Madison County Fair.
Dress Code: All participants must come to skillathon dressed in appropriate show clothes for their species.
- June 19, 9am-5pm - PRE-REGISTER AT THE LINK BELOW BY JUNE 9TH
- Skillathon Information and Registration Links
- If you cannot attend on this date, contact the Extension Office to schedule for the alternate date on June 29th (You MUST schedule before June 1!). If you cannot attend either June 19 or 29th, you will complete a make-up skillathon and you will NOT be eligible for skillathon placing awards or premier exhibitor, but will be able to exhibit at the fair and sell if you wish. You still must call ahead to schedule this. If we do not hear from you by June 1, we will assume you can attend June 19th.
What to bring:
- Livestock Project and Record Book (for 1st year members) AND the PDF Livestock Records for additional years for each species
- Come dressed in clothes that are required for your show (See Fair Book for details)
- Most skills stations will be completed on a laptop computer (provided) via a quiz format where they will have to complete multiple choice, matching, selection, or fill in the blank type questions (much like they are used to using the posters) to limit touch points
- All families must register their youth for a time slot for each species skillathon required
- If your child needs certain accomodations to help them be successful, such as reading aloud, extra time, private judging, etc., please contact the OSU Extension Office to fill out a Winning 4-H Plan so we can discuss accomodations necessary!
2021 Study Guides
Each species has a study guide which lists the stations and a description for the types of questions asked, where information can be found, etc. Please review the study guide and resources for each species you are exhibiting.
Practice Quizzes are available here: Animal Science Virtual Learning Lab
|Species||Study Guide||Additional Resources (also linked in Study Guide)|
|Alpaca||Alpaca Study Guide|
|Beef (includes Dairy Beef Feeders)||Beef Study Guide|
|Dairy||Dairy Study Guide||Cow Milk vs. Milk Alternatives Article|
|Dog||Dog Study Guide|
|Goats||Goat Study Guide|
|Horse (includes Horseless Horse Project)||Equine Study Guide|
|Poultry||Poultry Study Guide|
|Rabbit (includes Pet Rabbit)||Rabbit Study Guide||
|Sheep||Sheep Study Guide|
|Swine||Swine Study Guide|