Skillathons will be conducted in the following areas: Beef, Sheep, Swine, Poultry, Rabbits, Goats, Horses, Dairy, and Llamas/Alpacas
Requirement: All livestock exhibitors must participate in skillathon to be eligible to show at the Madison County Fair.
Dress Code: All participants must come to skillathon dressed in appropriate show clothes for their species.
- June 19, 9am-5pm (All youth will receive an assigned time for their species judging and skillathon)
- If you absolutely cannot attend on this date, contact the Extension Office to schedule an alternative date. If you complete a make-up skillathon, you will NOT be eligible for skillathon placing awards or premier exhibitor, but will be able to exhibit at the fair and sell if you wish.
What to bring:
- Livestock Project and Record Book (for 1st year members) AND the PDF Livestock Records for additional years for each species
- Come dressed in clothes that are required for your show (See Fair Book for details)
- Most skills stations will be completed on a laptop computer (provided) via a quiz format where they will have to complete multiple choice, matching, selection, or fill in the blank type questions (much like they are used to using the posters) to limit touch points
- All families will receive an assigned judging time to limit wait times and decrease the amount of people on the grounds at one time.
- If your child needs certain accomodations to help them be successful, such as reading aloud, extra time, private judging, etc., please contact the OSU Extension Office to fill out a Winning 4-H Plan so we can discuss accomodations necessary!
2021 Study Guides
Each species has a study guide which lists the stations and a description for the types of questions asked, where information can be found, etc. Please review the study guide and resources for each species you are exhibiting.
Practice Quizzes are available here: Animal Science Virtual Learning Lab
|Species||Study Guide||Additional Resources (also linked in Study Guide)|
|Beef (includes Dairy Beef Feeders)||Beef Study Guide|
|Dairy||Dairy Study Guide||Cow Milk vs. Milk Alternatives Article|
|Dog||Dog Study Guide|
|Goats||Goat Study Guide|
|Horse (includes Horseless Horse Project)||Equine Study Guide|
|Poultry||Poultry Study Guide|
|Rabbit (includes Pet Rabbit)||Rabbit Study Guide||
|Sheep||Sheep Study Guide|
|Swine||Swine Study Guide|